9.7.12

Vegan Treat of the Month ***Date & Almond Truffles***

vegan treat of the month, truffles, vintage, crochet, thrifted, Haafner, granny chic, doily





















Every month I'll share a recipe of one of my favorite vegan treats.


And - whether it's sunny or not -
these ***Almonds and Dates Truffles*** are perfect for July.

Easy to make, they're kind of cute too.
Perfect for picnics. Great with mint tea.
But the thing I like best about them is the hint of orange flower water -
I love that smell so much...

vegan treat of the month, truffles, chopped dates, Haafner





















I veganized this recipe from The Vegetarian Table: North Africa by Kitty Morse, which is still available via internet. 
I bought this wonderful book back in the nineties when I was still a student and - although my collection of cookbooks has expanded substantially since then - I still use it. 
She uses honey, which I replaced by maple syrup.

Before we begin: I recommend you use organic products. 
Especially the almonds, dates and coconut will be tastier...
vegan treat of the month, dates, almonds, cinnamon, coconut, Haafner





















For about 30 truffles, you'll need:

185 gram / 1,5 cups of toasted almonds (be careful not to let them burn while toasting them)
125 gram / 1 cup pitted and chopped dates
1 tablespoon orange flowers water
1 tablespoon maple syrup (alternatively rice syrup or agave syrup)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
65 gram / 1/2 cup shredded coconut


Place the toasted almonds and the dates in a blender or food processor.
Grind them to a thick paste.

If you're food processor is not big, grind the almonds and dates in two shifts. 

vegan treat of the month, vintage, coffee grinder, Haafner





















I actually use this old coffee grinder that has been in the family since the 1960's or so 
- it beats any modern food processor. 
Somehow I don't think today's food processors will still be in use in the 2060's...

Anyway! 

Transfer this paste to a bowl and blend in the orange flower water, maple syrup and cinnamon.
Shape into ball of about 1,5 cm (less than 1 inch).
The book says 1 inch, but I like these truffles a bit smaller.

Sprinkle the shredded coconut on a plate.

Roll the balls untill they are nicely coated with the coconut.
Place them in fluted paper cups.
(BTW I really like these mint green ones, I bought them at a local grocery store.)

vegan treat of the month, truffles, vintage, crochet, thrifted, Haafner, granny chic, doily





















Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment